October 16, 2008

Software Testing for Dummies?

In my ongoing debates and discussions about saying no to testing certifications, I came across a very interesting comment:

BBST is an excellent course (so far what I have learned) and I think every tester should learn from it. But would you please tell me how many testers in Bangladesh actually learned or will learn all the lessons from this course. I know very few of them. Many tester will start learning very seriously but after few days he/she will lose interest because it's free and it will not give any direct output, many of us (especially Bangladeshi people, of course there are many exceptions) are always looking for instant output for their given effort. But most of them have a lot of potential.

I have a feeling this holds true, even in other countries. Comments like this are pretty common actually. It is implied that testing certifications provide an easier entry to this craft. They are easier to prepare for and pass. Also since certifications are not free, people will take it seriously, or would try hard to get the return of their investment. That would be a lot easier than reading blogs and articles of veteran testers, or participating in online testing forums, or coming up with context-driven testing strategies or blah blah blah. So fortunately there is a way to be INSTANT testers.

Unfortunately it is time to break the bad news. I believe...

Testing is not for the LAZY.
Testing is not for the IMPATIENT.
Testing is not for those who seek SHORTCUTS.
Testing is not for those who do not know how to LEARN quickly.
Testing is not for those who are not SHARP.
Testing is not for those who do not have PASSION for it.
Testing is not for those who cannot QUESTION.
Testing is not for those who are not INVESTIGATORS.
Testing is not for PROCESS freaks.
Testing is not for CONTROL freaks.
Testing is not for those who cannot be DYNAMIC.
Testing is not for those who cannot deal with UNCERTAINTIES.

I believe that if any tester (or wannabe) falls under any of the statements I just listed, they should rethink, or quit now! They should find another suitable profession that meets their characteristics. Go back to school, or go back to programming, or go back to customer support, or take an administrative job, or whatever, to build their career in something else. Certifications is a way to attract many people with unfavorable characteristics into our profession.

Sometimes I felt there were people who had potential. But while working with them I learned that they lacked the attributes I respect in a tester. Some were just plain lazy and wanted shortcuts to being skilled. There are no shortcuts.

As testers, we are investigators. We are told to investigate something whose complexities are least understood, i.e. software. We are able to spot and analyze clues to problems that are generally overlooked. We ask questions that were not perceived by others. We expose the illusions about the software. Our clients are fascinated by our reports. This can't be easy. That is why we need intelligent people in this profession. That is why I believe that testing is only for the talented.

Now that is a profession I am proud to be in. That is why people who have these qualities are successful.

16 comments:

  1. Very good points raised Sajjadul.

    One question which my colleagues always ask me is - If you do not write test cases, how will others (whoever executes) test it?

    My answer to them was - they are not testers, they are human robots programmed to follow and execute the instructions provided, and so I am not interested in feeding them.

    I wonder when people will start acknowledging testing is not mechanical.

    -Sharath.B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sir,
    That’s for sure that my jug is filled by a drop. I feel upcoming testers like me got the headlines in the main sheet before going through the newspaper so called Software Testing.
    That is why “This is a Blog, we are proud to be read” and that is why people say
    [James’ Reply: Thanks, Saj. I admire you. I like your blog, too.]
    ,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharath,

    > I wonder when people will start acknowledging testing is not mechanical.

    When I was hired to lead the test team in my current company, I noticed they had the perception that we should automate regression tests and write test cases to improve testing. But now, I see the programmers and their leads talk to outsiders about the problems of blind faith in both the approaches.

    I believe that changes can happen, as long as we are patient and keep demonstrating the true skills of testing. The problem is that too many people have already dumbed down this craft, and are still at it. We just need to try harder and speak louder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sharath, i feel like hugging you man, damn good reply...i always had this reply till my throat.. never came out, now i got it. awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate to say this but many people have this perception that testing is an easy job. Hopefully this post of yours will open some eyes. A must read for any wannabe or soon-to-be tester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sajjadul,
    I used to read Pradeep sir's post and just accidently came through your post, it's very nice and i really like the attributes you have listed for being a tester. I think while recruiting a tester a company should consider all these points rather than just saying that they require a tester who has knowledge of tools, certifications and no of years of exp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is great that you all are sharing your comments. I do think that if we are vocal about our thoughts and understanding about the testing craft then we can reduce the delusions that are so prevalent around us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bad news you have discussed are almost right and I agree with you.

    Plastic Card

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Sajjadul Hakim,

    I am an IT-consultant and about to become a system tester. It is great that you share your experiences.

    /J

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like this cautionary list very much and I have suggested my fellow testers under my supervision to read this post very carefully. Even though each of the items are self explanatory, I gave them real life examples when and how they will realize that they are just going to fall under any of the items and it seems it's working. However, I failed to demonstrate them the following statements:

    - Testing is not for PROCESS freaks.
    - Testing is not for CONTROL freaks.

    Could you please explain a bit more about these two?

    One more thing, what about considering this statement "Testing is not for those who are not INVESTIGATORS." as "Testing is not for those who are not CURIOUS INVESTIGATORS.". The reason why I want to put the word "CURIOUS" before "INVESTIGATORS" is, I have seen some people who are good investigators but not eager to investigate to learn more and more. They investigate only when it is asked or when expected but I think to be a good tester one must have investigative mind which is beyond our general expectation.

    ReplyDelete